There are several types of adoption to choose from including:
Domestic adoption services include pre-adoption counseling, a home study, meeting birth parents and placement. When a child is placed, LSS provides follow up support and supervision. Today’s adoption process provides for a wide range of options and opportunities allowing all parties to choose the level of contact with which they are comfortable.
Around the world, thousands of children are orphaned by war, disease, and poverty. In the US, many wish to expand their families and share their love with a child. LSS is able to facilitate international adoptions locally. Countries currently available for international adoption include: Bulgaria, China, Colombia, Guatemala, Moldova, Mongolia, Philippines, Poland, Romania, Russia and Ukraine.
Identified adoption occurs when the birth family identifies an adoptive family for their child prior to contacting LSS. LSS can offer services to both the adoptive family and the birth family. LSS can assist families with:
- Completing the adoptive home study
- Providing ongoing support and counseling throughout the match prior to the placement of the child
- Providing post-placement services
- Providing Interstate Compact Placement Services if the child is born or resides in a state other than South Dakota
Contract Adoption Services
Adoptive placements can be coordinated through private agencies, public agencies, or attorneys. LSS staff are available to assist South Dakota adoptive families in completing:
- Home studies, regardless of the placement resource
- Post-placement services
- Interstate Compact Placement Services if the child is born or resides in a state other than South Dakota