Better Together matches older adults with volunteers in Minnehaha, Lincoln and Brookings counties. The program establishes trusting relationships and regular social opportunities between independently living older adults and volunteers. Better Together matches older adults ages 65 and up, called “Neighbors,” with volunteers to provide socialization, friendship, share resources and build a relationship.
Benefits to older adults participating in Better Together include:
- Creating an active older adult community that will foster a sense of belonging among participants
- Decreasing loneliness and isolation
- Improving self-esteem by developing meaningful relationships
- Alleviating some of the depression that comes with aging
- Connecting generations together
Better Together is an exciting and satisfying volunteer opportunity. This program promotes intergenerational connection among the participants, and exists with the goal of building social relationships between them.