Foster Parent Criteria
The following criteria is needed to become a foster parent. The criteria fulfills South Dakota Department of Social Services' regulations and standards.
- An application to be licensed must be completed.
- Three positive references with telephone numbers from persons other than family members must be provided.
- Employment income verification must be provided.
- A Central Registry Check form for every household member age 10 years and older must be completed and returned with no record of substantiated child abuse/neglect.
- A Division of Criminal Investigation check must be completed on every adult living in the home. If an applicant's name appears, his/her criminal record will be evaluated as it pertains to state licensing.
- Applicants and all adults in the household age 15+ must be screened through the Sexual Offender Registry in the county of residence.
- Physical examinations of the potential foster parents and immunization records for children under the age of 18 years must be provided.
- Pre-service orientation training must be completed.
- The home study process must be completed.
- A vehicle inspection, current driver's license, driving record, and current auto insurance.